Explore Our SchoolVisit khanlabschool.org to read about our Vision & Learning Design.
STATEMENT OF INTENT
Khan Lab School (KLS) strives to create a demographically diverse community so that students can learn from peers with a variety of backgrounds and become better prepared for our increasingly global world. We use applications, tours, interviews, and Shadow Days to determine if a family is a good fit for our rapidly evolving education model.
Students must be 5 years old by September 1 of the year of entry to be eligible to attend KLS.
October 6, 2017: Applications open for the 2018-19 school year on Ravenna
January 12, 2018: Preliminary applications due*
February 1, 2018: Supplementary materials due
- Transcripts, teacher evaluations, and other materials due
- Financial aid applications due for families with demonstrated need
March 15, 2018: Admissions decisions emailed
March 22, 2018: New student enrollment deadline
December 11, 2017 – March 2, 2018: Select students invited to a Shadow Day
For all families who have an interest in our school: please take the following actions:
1) fill out the Inquiry form on our website or create an account on Ravenna and mark yourself as "Exploring" Khan Lab School and 2) RSVP to a Parent Tour or Open House.
Parents of applicants who are interested in applying to Khan Lab School may register for a tour here. Tours during the school day are intended for parents only. Due to our small school size, we cannot accommodate students or other children on these tours. Students are welcome at our evening Open Houses, held every month in the fall, and student applicants who move forward in the process will be invited to a special Shadow Day.
Admissions tours take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays and include an overview presentation, a tour of the space, an opportunity to observe the learning experience and a Q&A session. Register here to attend an admissions tour.
Parents and interested applicants are invited to attend an Open House. Spaces are limited and must be reserved in advance here. The Open House format is best suited for applicants ages 8 & up.
Open Houses are held on select weekday evenings between 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Attendees hear directly from teachers, students, and current parents about their experience at KLS.
2017 Open House Dates:
- September 25, 2017
- October 11, 2017
- October 23, 2017
- November 15, 2017
- November 29, 2017
- Families will be notified that applications are open mid-September.
- There is a $100 application fee for all U.S. applicants and a $150 fee for applicants who live outside of the United States.*
- Applications must be completed online here. For students who are enrolled in grade 2 or higher at their current school, there are reflection questions to complete. In addition, all parents must respond to parent questions and submit student transcripts and a teacher evaluation.
- Applicants to Middle and Upper School must also submit a principal evaluation and ISEE test scores. The KLS school code for ISEE is 571065. Information about taking ISEE can be found here.
- After preliminary applications have been reviewed and supplementary materials received, we will invite eligible students for a Shadow Day. On this day, students will have an opportunity to shadow current students as well as participate in group challenge activities.
- Middle and Upper School applicants may have an additional interview scheduled. (This refers to students who would be entering grades 6 through 9+ in a traditional school setting.)
- Admissions decisions will be sent to families on March 16, at which time families wishing to apply for financial aid may do so.
*If the application fee represents a significant financial burden, please email email@example.com to request a waiver.
TUITION & FINANCIAL AID
The 2017-18 tuition is as follows:
- Lower School (Independence Levels 1-4): $27,000
- Middle School (Independence Level 5): $29,000
- Upper School (Independence Level 6): $32,000
The enrollment fee is $750.
KLS is dedicated to providing financial aid to qualified applicants. While our available financial aid may be limited, we encourage families who are experiencing financial hardship to complete the preliminary financial aid request form here, after they have submitted their application and all supplementary materials to KLS.
Students who apply and are not admitted due to inadequate space are automatically placed in the waiting pool. The waiting pool is not a sequential list. Students will be admitted based on maintaining a balanced school population. Spots are filled on a rolling basis whenever a space opens up for a new term. We will contact you using the phone number or email listed on your application if a spot opens up.
We are looking for students who are excited to take an active role in their education and for parents who hope to support their children in becoming lifelong learners. The recruitment goal is to bring together families that are committed to the learning community and will contribute to it in any number of ways. KLS seeks to create a racially and economically diverse group of learners, representative of the community we are a part of, in order to facilitate cross-cultural communication and broaden the worldviews of students. Transcripts will be reviewed to ensure a level of academic proficiency that will allow students to be successful. Applicants to the Lower School are not evaluated based on test scores. We require ISEE scores for applications to the Middle School and Upper School. We look for students who are exceptionally curious, excited to create something out of nothing, who thrive in an exploratory setting, and who are eager to lead, teach and collaborate with their peers. We are looking for families who want to be part of discovering and implementing new education models and who bring valuable experiences and resources to the school community.
In the fall of 2017-18, we enrolled 140 students between the ages of 5 and 15. Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATORY POLICY AS TO STUDENTS
Khan Lab School admits students of any race, color, religion, national, and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national, and ethnic origin in administration of our educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.